Friday, June 3, 2011

Happy June! ...Indeed!

We started off the month by celebrating D's business -- it marked it's 5th year on Wednesday. We had a fabulous dinner at his favorite restaurant; hamachi shots are the best! 

On Thursday, Joey graduated! Knowing there will be a ceremony that involved singing & some hand gestures & LOTS of people watching him -- he was feeling a little A LOT overwhelmed earlier in the week. This has been a challenge for a very long time usually resulting in crying & a meltdown. Both D & I had separately spoke with him about this ordeal for him. On the drive to school, he asked me, "Mama, when  you were little, did you like it when people clapped and there are a lot of people in the room?" I replied, "No, I didn't like it because I didn't like the attention"...he went on to say, "So...you didn't like it too!...what did you do?" I went onto tell him how I would think of a silly song when everyone would clap so it make me feel better so I didn't hear the clapping but I heard the song which kept me smiling. He, of course, wanted to hear my song (ha-ha -- still makes me smile) and he started laughing! ...he said "I have a silly song"...and he does! So...we get to school and he was still a little apprehensive. 

D and I take our seats (which is never in the front, by the little man's request) and we tell ourselves always "No expectations!" We are just SO proud he has come this far!

This is my little view so I can actually see him. We were 5 rows back...

There he is...working through it! 



He's actually doing the movements, no singing...We'll take it!
Note: at home, he's actually shown us the movements & sang a few of the songs. :)
I love his reaction here. This is where D stood up and Joey caught him... I love how he's telling us "not to look at him".
This was the last song...and boy, was it emotional for me & D. The kid worked through it...and for us (and his teacher) you could tell he was! There was a little of the "plugging of ears" in preparing himself for the clapping (which he knew he could still hear while plugging his ears) but once the clapping was done, he moved onto the next song. Yes, he didn't really sing all the songs or do any of the "full" movements during the songs...but we don't mind. We were just so proud that he worked this...on his own, in front of everyone... HUGE! Serious GOOSEBUMPS!! 

After each type of event like this, D & I tell each other what he'll probably won't be doing at the next event... On this day, we said "Next year, he probably won't be plugging his ears".

Here's my boy!! Getting two medals. 
By the time it was the medal ceremony, he was completely himself! Look at him, he is SO big!! 

Two medals: One for being a graduate & the other is a Gymnastics medal! So COOL!

This is his AWESOME teacher who has helped Joey in achieving those HUGE moments! Mrs. M -- we LOVE you from the bottom of our hearts.

Photo Op time with the little Man of the Day!!
(Normal pose & the Silly pose -- his favorite, our favorite)




We stayed for the picnic lunch with his buddies & called it a day! 

I can't express enough how proud we are of him. At the beginning of the year, there was a lot of uncertainty. Although he was mainstreamed (which is HUGE)....we sort of banked on having an aide for him...then as the weeks got closer to starting school, we were told "Joey doesn't need an aide" by his teacher in the above photo. Mind you, we haven't known her long but there was this instant trust we had for her from the time we first met (months before). We had decided to not enroll Joey in kindergarten last year but try Pre-K mainstream to "see how it goes"... And it was the best decision we've ever made! When you think about it (future wise), instead of graduating from high school at 17 (like me & his daddy) he'll be 18. Not a big deal! ...but this year was HUGE and we get to see this new kid who wasn't the same kid 10 months ago!! Goosebumps!!!!

And as one of the gifts for his teacher...is this!  Found great inspiration from Martha Stewart & here is my take on it...How apropos -- Crayons! 


Thanks for reading!!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Congratulations to Joey! What a big boy :) Love all the photos of him on his special day. Truly touching. So happy that he is in a good place. His teacher sounds amazing. Kinder is so exciting! Can't wait to hear about the wonderful adventures he will continue to have. I'm so happy for you :)