Wednesday, September 23, 2009

T.C.F.W.


Joey & Mama convo on the way to preschool:

M: Joey, we are going to be late...I won't have time to feed you. (while handing him cherry stars)
* I typically feed him breakfast in the car @ the school parking lot. We live 30 minutes away from his school so feeding him at home isn't really an ideal time.
J: Oh, thanks Mama.
M: I'm sorry we are late.
J: Its okay, Mama. I have cherry stars.
M: Ashley (his teacher) will give you something to eat if you get hungry, okay?
J: Okay, Mama. It's okay... I love cherry stars!

HUGE dialogue! :)

The other day, an incident happened at preschool:

His classmate, Mikey, who also has autism comes up to Joey and pulls his hair. Joey lets it go the first time it happens. The second time Mikey comes up to him and pulls his hair... Joey takes Mikey's hands, pulls them down nicely and holds onto his hands and says "Mikey, do not pull my hair...it's not OK..." Mikey never came back to pull his hair again. Blows my mind how diplomatic Joey was with handling the situation. The two things I like most about this situation is 1) the teachers were standing close by observing the interaction to see how it was dealt with -- I like how they didn't intervene so quickly and waited to see how Joey would handle it and 2) I love how Joey didn't reciprocate by pulling Mikey's hair... But the best part was him sharing the story with me when I picked him from school.

Just love these milestones!! Goosebumps!!
Subject Line: "Too Cool For Words"...I borrowed this line from Nette!

4 comments:

jan said...

Love the stories!! You're little boy is growing...lots of dialogue & he's so even keeled!! Also, the way Joey handled the situation is also his way of problem solving!!
You're doing such a great job raising Joey! :) So thrilled & proud of him!!

joyce said...

awww...joey is such a sweetheart...the way he handled the situation. i am amazed by your little guy...huge accomplishments!!!

Jenny said...

Happy milestones! Joey is hitting so many milestones that I can't keep up :) Congrats mama! Go Team Joey! See you on ichat later this week :) xoxo

Jocelyn S. Lomahan said...

I love that story! What a great kid!!!!