Sunday, November 30, 2008

Gobble! Gobble!

Happy Thanksgiving!

It was one very special day for the Setti's. We are thankful for so many blessings that happened on this day...Thanksgiving dinner was hosted by my in-law's; they always make a mean spread! We made the 6-hour drive this morning...Joey woke up in a very good mood! He was especially excited to see the DVD player hooked up in the car; that's when he knows we are going on a road trip. Portable DVD players are such an awesome invention. We don't have it hooked up everyday only for these special occasions when he knows he going to see a grandparent(s).  Once we arrived, we were welcomed by my parents. Love it when they can make it. As my parents get older and my Mom's disability gets worse, it's been more difficult each year for them to travel. I was so happy to seem! Just observing Joey interact with his grandparents and his great-grandpa made us especially joyous for this occasion. Last year's Thanksgiving was a very emotional one. This is when Joey was 2-months into his early intervention program and a lot of the relatives were having a difficult time accepting Joey's enrollment/challenges...also, Joey didn't have a lot of words at that time so communicating was still a challenge for most of them. Joey was addressing them all by their names, being very affectionate -- giving them hugs and kisses and sharing his "I love you" with them. You can see in their expressions how delighted and touched they were. Great-Grandpa Joe was especially moved...this was the very first time Joey interacted with him and they've seen each other so many times before. It doesn't help that Great-Grandpa is 94-years-old and can only move so much. We had the best time...definitely one of the favorites!

On Friday, I didn't take advantage of 'Black Friday' mostly because my christmas shopping is finished. YAY! But my MIL and I went to an outdoor shopping center in Glendale called the Americana. It was so beautiful. They had a water display/show moving to the sounds of Christmas songs. We went shopping for each other...such a girlie experience that I absolutely loved..., walked around and then ate lunch. 
On Saturday, we left for home shortly after lunch. My FIL made Fritelle and Bomboloni/Zeppole...a favorite pastime of Dave's. The last time this was made was when Dave's Nonna was alive (over 15 years ago). My FIL makes the best Italian desserts...he's famous for his Tiramisu which only happens at Christmastime...I've only shared this home-recipe with a girlfriend and I know she can attest to it being one of her favorites to make too. Leaving on a 6-hour drive + (traffic) for home after having Fritelle and Bomboloni was a huge mistake...Ha-ha, we were so full all we wanted to do was sleep. The drive was very long but so worth the memories.

Today, I'm looking forward to hanging out with Kelley to see a movie and grab some grub. Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to seeing Jenny, Joce and Beckie's December Daily pages! I'm looking forward to starting our Christmas holiday traditions...

Good-Bye November...Hello December!