Friday, June 20, 2008

This face...




I was teasing him how I was going to get his "teddy bear" and he gave me this face...Really, I was trying to make him smile for the camera...Not so much...I got this face instead. I'll take it!!

TGIF! Today's a good day! Joey's been on a waiting list since April to attend a special day preschool in Santa Clara. We got the call on Wednesday and we had to make a decision by this morning. We didn't anticipate a phone call until well after July or at least by mid-August...but this will follow nicely after he turns 3 years-old next month -- yes, THREE and I still have the baby fat on me (but that's another day)...which is at the same time his current program will end. This whole process with his IEP (Individualized Educational Plan)-transitioning him from his early intervention program-transferring all of the paperwork to the school district-having more assessments/evaluations (before the school year ends)-being on waiting lists- and then, deciding what special day school he would attend and what he qualifies for...can be very confusing and exhausting.  But today, for now, is rewarding. Crossing our fingers this program will be right for him. Lots of milestones next month: Last day of school, his 3rd birthday, our very first family vacation, and the beginning of his pre-school years!...and, yes, Mama finally gets a little of her life back.  His current school includes parent involvement -- yes, I attend class (and therapy sessions) with him -- at first I questioned it but after being in school with him for 11 months now, I get it. The therapists have taught me to better understand Joey's challenges as well as his diagnosis...I'm a better person/parent because of them and because of Joey. So...yes, I get a little time for myself which is really foreign to me. It has definitely been awhile. I do know I will be very sad to see him detached from me. Seriously, I call him my "accessory"...he's like my wallet! I'm sure I will be on an emotional roller-coaster that week! But for now...it's nice to know we got that call!!

Happy Friday!!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

What a cute picture of Joey! Good news about the preschool! What an exciting time for you all. And yes, you deserve much needed YOU time - more time to scrapbook :)

JaeDeeVee said...

That's great news about the preschool. I love it when things just fall right into place. I hope we get to hang out when you come down to SD. I miss you girl!