...grows leaps & bounds (it seems) at rapid speed. So much has happened over the course of the last 2 months. He did have an awesome birthday party, I must say. Before he went to bed that night he said, "Mama, I'm happy". Huge deal for Mama when it's not prompted or asked.
He graduated from his special day school. At his last parent conference meeting, we were told he has outgrown the school & program. He attends a PACE program school where there is 50% typical children and 50% special needs. He has been there for two years. They also suggested he goes mainstream into his next school year; which means, all typical children. This was the goal to strive for when we first admitted him into his early intervention program/school 3 years ago. Everyone on Team Joey worked hard. I'm eternally grateful to his EI teachers, PACE teachers and his therapists...and the friends & family members who just understood.
His new school began two weeks ago & the kid is happy! He looks forward to going to school. He has made friends. D & I just found out he got married, ha-ha. We are truly blessed with his new teachers. Both having over 20 years under their belt...and they are so much fun! D & I decided to hold Joey back from kindergarten this year. We believe its very important to make sure he is developmentally ready. And for the most part, we feel he is...but also feel, this is the best choice for him. And everyday when I pick him up from school, that choice is validated. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Another huge milestone, he has graduated from Speech Therapy! Oh yeah baby! He's been receiving speech therapy since age 2... Although it has only been 3 years, it sure doesn't feel like it especially when we look back to the beginning. 1 year felt like 5 years. It's mind-boggling the vocabulary this kid has & the context he uses his language in. Man!
Within these past 2 months, he has been on 4 airplane rides (and 6 more before the year's end). First time on a plane and he loves it. He's always been a great traveler on our long road trips...he's especially great on the plane. His choices on a kid's menu has expanded as well (history: delayed development in the ability to chew) which makes it even nicer to eat out at restaurants.
...the list can go on and on. And really, all of this happened in the last 2 months. We look forward to seeing how this guy evolves by the end of the year. All in all, we are SUPER proud to be his parents. Life has been a heck of a lot easier because of him. Cheers little buddy!!!!

2 comments:
That's so great, Abs! I'm so proud of Joey! I can't believe what a big boy he is now. Man, sometimes I wish I could slow down time. Our kids are growing up way too fast!
Thanks Sher! I know!!...they are growing up TOO fast!!! I wish time can just stop sometimes. I hope to see you in a couple of weeks! Let me know what your plans are. It's Dave's birthday weekend but I want to see you and Jae! xo
Post a Comment